six years and still under 50 posts.

11.16.2001

why can't more artists be humble and honest like this- (thanks mat)

mike watt left for fall tour sept.11. he drove to SF where the gig was cancelled. they continued to tour, and decided to finish off in SF. watt wore sunglasses the entire tour on stage - partly because he would often cry while playing.
below is mat's remarks on the final tour show, then an excerpt from watt's tour diary:
From mat, who was at the final show :

During the encore at the BOH show in SF He removed those shades. The BOH was supposed to be the first show of his tour, and it wound up being the last. He took off the shades and says "I was wearing these on the drive up here when we heard about the bombing. We got up here and the gig was cancelled. I've been wearing them the whole tour, I guess I can take 'em off now."

Here's what he said about them:

I thank my guys tons. we go back out and I tell the crowd, "the tour's done and now these dark glasses can come off!" it feels great to do the encore tunes w/out them. I give thanks to "these two fine gentlemen, mister tom watson and mister jerry trebotic." the last song of the tour is _the stooges_ "down on the streets." it's the ten year anniversary of the _bottom of the hill_ and I thank ramona, the bosslady, for having an independent pad to work tunes from. it's that spirit that I think is righteous to celebrate. I tell folks to not be afraid either, even in these times - "write your own story, your own poem, paint your own
painting - start your own life!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home