six years and still under 50 posts.

6.26.2002

last night was oddly strange, amazing, but definitely cool. kirstin and I went to the LA Indy film festival to see The Rough South of Larry Brown. It was amazing. I love documentaries. This one told the story of Southern short story master Larry Brown. What a character. It's narrated by vic chesnutt, who also provides the music. It cut to performances of a couple of his short stories, one of which starred will patton. damn good. his style is similar to raymond carver, with a shot of william faulkner. in short, up my alley. make sure to check this out when it's near you. while I was saving a seat for kirstin, who was stuck in traffic, I talked with this woman alyson who offered me a ticket to the next film, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart - the doc of W I L C O's crazy past couple of years, mainly focused on their recent (brilliant) album. the film had been sold out for a while. I love wilco and have suffering thinking I would miss it. So I took the ticket and as the larry brown doc ended, we met a friend of hers, johnny, who was waiting in line for the wilco film. nice guy. looked familiar. he had made copies of bootlegs of steve earle and wilco for the absent friend, and so he just gave them to me. nice guy. so we mention the fact we both look familiar, so we talk about our recent history and it turns out I taught his sister Lori a year and a half ago at Whole World Theater in Atlanta. small world, folks. very strange. LA is a huge town. wow. so that's my story. oh yeah, the film is great. I got to meet the director sam jones afterwards. he's broke and eagerly waiting the widespread release of the film. Go See It.

Sometimes, and recently, especially, I Love this Shit Town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home