six years and still under 50 posts.

3.12.2002

Last night I went to the groundlings I had no idea what I was getting into, I just figured it was another off night improv-y something show. boy was I surprised. It turned out to be one of the funniest live shows I've ever seen. the show was titled Talent Showcase, and it was headed by an "acting teacher" named beverley winwood (susan yeagley). the premise being that this was the showcase for her actors ( note- if you're a christopher guest fanatic, like me, then you would have crapped your pants ) ok, so this set the stage for her actors to come out and perform scenes from famous films, plays, and shows - like death of a salesman and sex and the city. highlights include - michael hitchcock ( from best in show, waiting for guffman ) as Berle Dawson- sweatpants - conservative wig and big glasses wearing energetic freak who did a frenetic Rent medley - complete with screeches and screams.
Then there was jennifer coolidge as Fern Magnin - I don't know how to explain her character except by saying her wig couldn't possibly make it through a door frame. it was like her best in show character on acid, performing "john turraturro's" (as she called him) scene from search and destroy where he's talking about cocaine and a mets game. insane.
nat faxon and christen nelson did a scene from children of a lesser god - probably the best duo performance - it was like sarah baker's kindergarden character ( who stated before the scene began that whatever signing she didn't know, she would just say the lines ) and a mike anderson character who barked everyone of his lines while puffing his chest and immediately taking off his shirt.

there were others, too - paul reubens and mindy sterling ( frau farbissina in austinpowers ) in hilarious and bizarre characters.

after the show you could meet and greet the actors still in character -- I literally just blinked and stared with my jaw open listening and trying to talk to coolidge, nat faxon, and patrick bristow.

I like this town more every day.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home